current language
MAS available in the following languages:
or select your TÜV Rheinland region / country website:

TÜV Rheinland UKCA webinars

Stay up to date and register now to secure your participation.

Webinar | The Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008

Open the doors to the United Kingdom with UKCA Certification of Machinery - Latest Regulatory Updates

Register now!

Our self-serve information webinars for you

On-demand webinar: UKCA for Machinery

On-demand webinar: UKCA for Machinery

Open the doors to the United Kingdom with UkCA certification of Machinery. Register now!

On-demand Webinar: Impact of BREXIT


What to do, How to do it, When to do it!

Show all Hide all

Do I need a UK adress on the product, if I import from the EU?

Yes, the importer address should also be placed on the product. The legislation specific to your product may make allowances for the importer details to be placed elsewhere if it is not practical to place them on the product.

When does the UKCA mark have to be displayed, and where?

From January 1st 2023, the UKCA mark will be required to be displayed on products (except for medical devices - CE marking will continue to be recognized until June 31st 2023). To reduce the impact on businesses, the UKCA mark can be affixed optionally to the product or an enclosed document using a label. This will be accepted until December 31st 2022 only. After this time, the UKCA mark must be affixed directly to the product (unless the applicable regulations make other allowances).

Existing stocks that were fully manufactured and conformity marked prior to January 1st 2023 can still be placed on the British market after January 1st 2023 with a CE-marking and, where appropriate, the number of the Notified Body.

For the CE mark in 2021, can the EU representative listed in the DOC live in UK or must reside in the other 27 states? Currently our EU rep lives in UK.

An EU representative must be located in the EU, UK based representatives will no longer be recognised as an EU representative after 31st December 2020.

Is there a possibility that “Approved Bodies“ will not be authorised in time for all the relevant regulation areas (for UKCA conformity assessment)? Are there other Approved Bodies in the UK, or will be?

Any EU Notified Bodies located within the UK will automatically become UK Approved Bodies on 1st January 2021 so we can be confident that the vast majority of the total scope will be covered by a UK Approved Body. That said there is a risk that for a few products no UK Approved Body will have them on their scope before the end of the transition period, in which case the relevant authority should be contacted for advice.

May I continue using certificates issued by British Notified Body, but for the European Union ?

Under European Union product legislation, Notified Bodies must be established in an EU Member State and must be designated by a competent authority of a Member State in order to perform activities as part of a conformity assessment.

With the loss of “EU status” for many Notified Bodies, as of January 1st 2021, British Notified Bodies based in Great Britain are no longer able to perform conformity assessment activities under European legislation, and as a result, certificates issued by such a Notified Body will not be valid going forward.

At this point, advice to companies is to switch to a Notified Body or type-approval authority located in the EU single market if they wish to continue to market their products and vehicles in the European Union.

Are test reports issued within EU, accepted by UK to certify products in line with UKCA?

Where third party conformity assessment is required by the applicable legislation, test reports issued outside of the UK may be accepted by a UK Approved Body at their discretion for certification. This is only possible if the testing laboratory holds suitable accreditation and the correct test standards were applied.

I was under the impression that CE and UKCA are self-certification. Has this changed? What would be the reason to ask a notified body to look over anything apart from peace of mind? If the testing performed meets standards used in that market don’t you just fill out a Declaration and save the results like we used to? (and register the product).

For many Directives/Legislation no Notified Body/Approved Body involvement is required, however some Directives/ Legislation do require the involvement of a Notified Body. The UKCA requirements very closely mirror the CE requirements, so if you do not require the involvement of a Notified Body for your CE you will not need a UK Approved Body for UKCA.

Is there a gap analysis between the EU and UK regulations?

There is no gap analysis as such but the linked document below shows many of the changes that were made to the directives to make them UK legislation as a result of Brexit:


pdf Requirements for Toys in UK 312 KB Download
pdf Certification scheme description - Lifts Regulations 527 KB Download
pdf Certification scheme description - Pressure Equipment Regulations 429 KB Download
pdf UK Legislation Impact FAQ 340 KB Download
pdf Testing and Certification Regulations (PZO) of TÜV Rheinland UK Ltd. (TRUK) 175 KB Download


Please contact us for more information!

Please contact us for more information!

Request a Quote