Win Customer Trust by Offering Tested Semiconductor Production
In the semiconductor industry, the SEMI S2 and S8 directives are THE recognized standards. Many buyers have even begun including them in their terms of contract. Hone your competitive edge and win new customers by certifying your semiconductor production facility. Our certification proves that your product fulfills the international standards for safety and ergonomics. As it so happens: these standards also apply to flat screen manufacturing. And if you wish, our experts will gladly assist in all aspects of exporting to the EU or North America.
Sustainability requirements for semiconductor manufacturing equipment. SEMI S23 - Guide for energy, utilities and materials use efficiency of semiconductor manufacturing equipment
The global association SEMI ( Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International ) has published the standard SEMI S23 about sustainability in the semiconductor industry. The first version of SEMI S23 was published back in 2005. In this respect, semiconductor manufacturers were pioneers in the field of sustainability. For a long time, however, no attention was paid to the standard. Now this topic is again in the focus of the semiconductor producers and a version of the SEMI S23 from the year 2021 reflects the current state of the art.
Two aspects are treated in the SEMI S23. Firstly, SEMI S23 provides guidance on how resource and energy consumption can be measured on real machines. In addition, SEMI S23 defines specifications for a quality system that enables manufacturers to reduce resource and energy consumption. To this end, consumption is to be monitored regularly and reduced in the event of further developments.
Measurements of consumption values on the machine are carried out in the various operating modes, such as production, idle or sleep mode. Relevant variables are electrical consumption, exhaust air, vacuum, nitrogen, cooling media and others. Energy or power equivalents are then calculated using specified conversion factors, and finally an annual performance indicator is determined from this. This is then used as a benchmark for further developments or even for systems from different manufacturers.
Let TÜV Rheinland determine the consumption values and key figures for your machine. This data will help you to objectively evaluate the consumption values and then also to reduce them. More and more manufacturers of semiconductors are making the consumption value a decision criterion when purchasing new machines.
Benefits at a Glance
With TÜV Rheinland certification of your semiconductor production facilities, you will:
- Communicate your commitment to high quality
- Decrease your risk of liability with documented safety standards
- Gain competitive edge, given a neutral mark of approval
- Benefit from a brief testing period and from our years of experience
- Demonstrate the suitability of your systems for the semiconductor industry
Our Services in Semiconductor and Flat Screen Production
In addition to certification, we offer comprehensive services from a single source:
- Support and development assistance from the design stage – up to SEMI S2/S8 conformance
- Risk assessment in accordance with SEMI S14 or other international standards
- Complete SEMI S2/S8 report
- Researching local or country-specific requirements in the U.S. or other locations
- Chemical and health evaluations
- Support and training in compliance with relevant EU directives or other international standards
- Flexible and timely support for addressing safety issues
- Environmental and resource conservation according to SEMI S23 analyses
Note: different standards apply to SEMI S2 and S8. In most cases, it is therefore necessary to conform to both American and European requirements. Ergonomic safety assessments are also needed.
The SEMI S2 and S8 Directives
These standards were developed by the Semiconductor Equipment and Materials International (SEMI) trade organization. The two most important SEMI standards are:
- SEMI S2: Equipment Safety Evaluations - assessments of facility safety
- SEMI S8: Ergonomic Evaluation - assessments of ergonomics
All Evaluation Criteria at a Glance
- Electrical Safety
- Environmental influences