|Clients||Dubai Electricity & Water Authority (DEWA)|
|Time frame||November 2017 – ongoing|
|Project location||United Arab Emirates UAE, Dubai|
|Main Services||Engineering, procurement, delivery, installation, commissioning, training, maintenance, documentation, project management|
60068-1/-3-6/-2-52/-2-68; 60904-1/-3/-8/-9/-13; 61215-2/-1-1/-1-2/-1-3/-1-4; 61701; 61730-2; 62782; 62788-1-2/-1-4; 62804-1; 62805-1/-2; 62892-3
MIL Standard MIL-STD-810G
ISOs 7027; 9050
Initial situation, requirements
To advance Renewable Energies in Dubai, the Dubai Electricity & Water Authority (DEWA) builds solar plants and erects a laboratory building in the Southern desert area. The solar test systems in the laboratory – provided by TÜV Rheinland Energy GmbH – enable DEWA to assess PV modules scientifically. The test systems in the Research & Development (R&D) laboratory provide numerous mechanical and electrical tests to determine the characteristics and suitability of PV modules.
Based on DEWA’s tender, TÜV Rheinland Energy GmbH purchases, engineers, delivers, commissions and maintains the test equipment needed.
The test systems for phase 1 of the laboratory include
- Pulsed solar simulator
- 2 test systems for electroluminescence
- Module Quantum Efficiency, Encapsulation Quality, Mechanical Load Bench
- 2 Climate Chambers, a Salt Mist and a Sand & Dust Chamber; the latter being the largest in the world
- Equipment for testing PID and BDT, monitoring and biasing of modules, Visual Inspection, Hi-pot with HV probe and Impulse Generator, Wet Leakage, Sourcemeter, Galvanostat, Spectroradiometer, Refractometer
- Standard and reference modules
- Small equipment like furniture, fume hoods, soldering stations, electronic components, tools, microscopes, lasers, 3 ovens, balances, PCs, shelfs, carts, consumables, power supplies, thermography camera
As an additional order to the tender, TÜV Rheinland also provided a chiller plant for cooling of the test chambers.
Benefits For The Clients
- TÜV Rheinland’s solutions enable DEWA to erect and operate a world-class Research & Development laboratory for PV modules. In addition, the PV laboratory contains a Chemical Laboratory for material assessments. Together with the solutions from phase 2 of the laboratory implementation (planned 12/2019 – 05/2020), DEWA will have a complete range of sophisticated test systems for PV modules.
- The UAE government plans to build 5000 MW of solar generation capacity until 2030, investing approximately 10 billion euros. In 2020, 1200 MW will be in operation in 3 solar park clusters. The harsh desert conditions cause module surfaces to deteriorate quickly. The R&D laboratory will help to find the most suitable modules, glasses, and surfaces.
About TÜV Rheinland
Founded 145 years ago, TÜV Rheinland is a global leader in independent inspection services, ensuring quality and safety for people, the environment and technology in nearly all aspects of life. We inspect technical equipment, products and services, oversee projects and help to shape processes for companies around the world.
Since 2006, we have been a member of the United Nations Global Compact to promote sustainability and combat corruption. TÜV Rheinland is a world leader in testing and supply chain management services for the solar industry.
With over 35 years of experience, we offer testing and certification of PV modules and components, supply chain management, and independent engineering for PV power plants.