CB Certification – A Single Audit for Global Market Access
The CB scheme is an international program promoting global harmonization and the reduction of trade barriers. Originally implemented to coordinate the acceptance of product safety test results among laboratories and certification organizations worldwide, the CB scheme provides manufacturers multiple national safety certifications for their products with a single CB certificate.
The CB scheme actually consists of one single audit and certification procedure to demonstrate the safety of your electrical products to the world's most important markets. Our experts can audit your goods and support you during international product homologation. The advantage of obtaining the CB certificate, the supplemental CB report and further country-specific documents is easier access to acquiring mandated national audit seals.
Benefits of the CB Certification at a Glance
CB certification from TÜV Rheinland helps you:
- Gain quick and easy access to the world's most important markets.
- Save your company complicated, multiple audits.
- Acquire audits and certificates required for many countries from a single source.
- Surpass the competition via a simplified procedure.
- Benefit from short audit times and our extensive experience.
Please contact us at TÜV Rheinland to learn more about how our CB certification services can benefit your company.
Four Steps to CB Report and Final CB Certification
With a procedure as simple as the CB scheme, our experts can help you reach the international market in just four steps.
You provide us the required technical documents for which you need a CB certificate along with your order.
You state which production plants are involved in manufacturing your products.
You compile a list of all countries in which your product is to be marketed.
We prepare a CB report and, when necessary, include specific national requirements. Upon completion of a positive CB report, you will be issued a CB certificate.
We also offer services for issuing or mediating national audit seals and licenses.
Application Procedure to Obtain a CB Certificate
Applications to conduct product testing and obtain a CB report can be submitted to TÜV Rheinland, a national certification body accredited for the relevant IEC Standard. The application can be made to include different factories in different countries.
Upon issuance of a CB certificate, the subsequent procedure to obtain product certification for a specific target market includes:
- Applying to the target market
- Submitting the CB certificate
- Submitting the CB report including applicable supplements for different countries
- Providing a sample of your electrical product
The CB Scheme
The Certification Body (CB) scheme is based on an international accord of the “Worldwide System for Conformity Testing and Certification of Electrical Equipment,” IECEE. The IECEE agreement between participating national certification bodies, including TÜV Rheinland, ensures mutual recognition of audit results for electrical products. Notified bodies from 52 countries, including primary industrialized nations, are now affiliated with the CB scheme - it is considered as a basis for national certification in many EU countries, including those that are not yet official member states.
Examples of Electrical Products Tested for CB Certification, Criteria and Norms
- Household appliances : IEC 60335
- Lighting : IEC 60598 and others
- Transformers: IEC 61558 and others
- Electrical handheld tools: IEC 60745, IEC 61029 and others
- IT systems: IEC 60950
- Audio and video devices: IEC 60065
- Measuring instruments: IEC 61010 and others
- Electrical medical devices : IEC 60601-1 and others
- Electro-magnetic compatibility : CISPR14-1 and others
Participating Countries Participating in the CB Scheme
Over 50 countries currently participate in the CB scheme and CB certification. From Europe (Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary) to Asia (Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Japan), Africa (Kenya, South Africa) and America (Canada, USA, Mexico, Argentina), the CB certificate is your key to worldwide market entry.