Safety Instrumented Systems
ABB is an accepted course provider of the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Training Program for Safety Instrumented Systems Training.
The goal of this course is to learn the principles and requirements of Functional Safety according to the IEC 61508 / IEC 61511 safety standards. This includes the complete safety lifecycle in the context of Safety Instrumented Systems (SIS) projects. The ABB T142 training is delivered as a mix of theory and worked examples to underpin the learning experience.
Course attendance is open to all interested parties. Achieving the threshold mark for the examination and meeting the prerequisites as detailed below will result in the candidate obtaining a TÜV Rheinland FS Engineer Certificate.
Upon completion of this TUV Rheinland course, the participants will be able to:
- Describe the principles of Functional Safety Management and key features of IEC 61508 / IEC 61511.
- Describe the requirements of the Safety Lifecycle
- Appreciate the requirements for independence and competency across all lifecycle phases
- Explain and determine Safety Integrity Levels (SIL) with different risk assessment methods.
- Outline the key deliverables from the Safety Lifecycle, including Roles and Responsibilities.
- Describe a Safety Requirement Specification.Appreciate the requirements for Cyber-security risk assessment.
- Explain and determine key factors used in the SIS engineering and design such as Random Hardware Failure, Architectural Constraints (HFT/SFF) and Systematic Capability.
- Appreciate the need for Safety Lifecycle Management processes, procedures, methods and techniques.
This comprehensive training is targeted to safety, control, electrical, instrumentation, application operations & maintenance engineers who will be involved in executing safety instrumented system projects covering any phase of the safety lifecycle from hazard and risk assessment, through engineering and design to operations, maintenance and modification.
In accordance with the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Training Program, to be accredited students shall have:
- A minimum of 3 years experience in the field of functional safety
- University degree or equivalent engineering experience and responsibilities as certified by employer or engineering institution.
Please contact course provider