Controlling risks within major hazard enterprises requires a robust process safety management (PSM) system and the experienced application of process hazard and risk analysis (PH&RA) techniques. This PH&RA course is part of the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Program. Participants who successfully pass the examination will get a Functional Safety Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) certificate in Process Hazard and Risk Analysis.
The course covers the fundamentals of PSM, hazard identification and risk analysis, evaluation and treatment. The course focuses on the principal methods including HAZID, HAZOP, LOPA, FMEA and QRA as well as the increasingly popular bowtie analysis. It demonstrates how to apply theory in practice, using simple and more complex examples to illustrate key points.
At the end of the course you will be able to:
- Apply the most popular and internationally adopted methods and tools for identifying and managing the risks associated with process related hazards.
- Actively participate in and give effective support during the whole process hazard and risk analysis approach.
- Identify hazards and analyse risk, including applying the IEC 61882 HAZOP standard.
- Relate the requirements of Functional Safety according to IEC 61508 / IEC 61511 to process hazards and risk analysis.
Who should attend?
- Process engineers, safety engineers and managers, instrument engineers and operations personnel, plant and operations managers.
- Anyone accountable for the assessment and management of risks and hazards in the process industries.
- Persons involved in management, engineering, operations and safety of process operations.
- Persons with HAZOP study experience and a basic knowledge of loss prevention and safe working practice.
Applicable Industry Sectors
- Oil & Gas, Petrochemicals, Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals, Mining and Natural Resources, Utilities, Power, Food and Beverages.
Equipment Designers, Design Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) Contractors, Operators, Consultancies/ Advisory Firms, Inspection Authorities, Regulatory Bodies.
The course comprises slides, several videos and, most importantly, 25 activities designed to enhance the knowledge and practical skills of participants. The Risktec trainers are TÜV Rheinland certified FS (PH&RA) Experts and are active practitioners in the process sectors. They have extensive training experience and utilise accelerated learning techniques.
The course is intended to be a practical experience, with the emphasis on the activities. Many of the slides provide backup content for reference purposes. All of the topics are covered during the course but the trainers flex the time spent according to the experience and wishes of the participants.
To be eligible to receive a TÜV Rheinland certificate and to use the title “Functional Safety Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) PH & RA”, participants must:
- Attend the Process Hazard & Risk Analysis training course, and
- Pass the exam at the end of the training course, and
- Meet the eligibility criteria specified by the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Program, which are:
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years experience in the field of functional safety,
- and a University degree or equivalent engineer level responsibilities status as certified by employer.
- A course eligibility form will be provided and must be completed and handed to the Risktec trainer before the exam day.
- The exam is held on the afternoon of the fourth day of the course. It is a closed book, closed notes exam. Use of calculators is allowed and one will be provided if required.
- It is a professional exam and so any inappropriate conduct will result in disqualification at the discretion of the invigilator.
- The exam comprises two parts, which must be completed within 3½ hours. Candidates must answer:
- Part 1 – All fifty multiple choice questions (25%)
- Part 2 – Three out of a set of long answer questions (75%)
The pass score is 75%.
What do you get?
- Those candidates who pass the exam will receive a FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) PH&RA certificate from TÜV Rheinland, Germany, which will be valid for 5 years. After that it can be renewed with TÜV Rheinland for a further 5 years against a reference letter from your employer and payment of a fee.
- TÜV Rheinland will issue the FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) certificate with a unique ID and publish the name of each certificate holder on its website www.tuvasi.com.
- You can use the title FS Engineer (TÜV Rheinland) on your business card and within the signature on your emails, etc.
- If you fail the examination you can retake it after at least six months have passed but this will incur an additional fee.
The course fee is charged in local currency, it may vary depending on the location and prevailing exchange rates in the region.
The course fee includes course material, lunch and refreshments, as well as registration fees with the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Program.
Please contact course provider.