Approvals for North America
Selling Products in North America
Given today’s volatile economic conditions, constrained budgets and tight development timelines, your NRTL choice is critical. North American regulations require goods to be certified by an independent, accredited third-party testing agency.
TÜV Rheinland is the leading North American certification organization because of its client-oriented way of doing business. The TÜV Rheinland work-flow process reduces test-cycle time and lowers overall costs, and new accreditation capabilities are regularly added. The TÜV Rheinland NRTL mark is widely accepted by retailers, and many manufacturers are turning to TÜV Rheinland for cost savings, worldwide acceptance and responsive customer service. Today, more than ever, you need to demonstrate how regulatory compliance adds value to your operations. TÜV Rheinland is your best choice to make this happen.
Benefits at a Glance
With TÜV Rheinland product approvals, you can:
- Increase your international market access through an extensive service network throughout the world
- Gain a competitive advantage over your competition with our independent third-party approvals
- Benefit from our years of experience and expertise
Our Services North America Approvals
- Regulatory research and consultation
- Documentation requirements and management
- Comprehensive project tracking and monitoring
- Multi-country turn-key approvals
- Central knowledge database to meet all regulatory needs
- Project management with weekly updates on target market approval status from receipt of technical file, start of tests (if any), review certification and planned lead times
- Early updates on target market labeling, packaging requirements, required translations and regulatory statements
- Training, research and seminars
Electrical products sold in the United States must meet local safety requirements. We test and certify mass-produced goods according to NRTL guidelines. Machinery or equipment will be approved individually, according to FES guidelines.
Products for Children
The mandatory safety certification of non-electrical consumer products in the U.S. is still relatively new. The Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) requires products for children to be certified by designated nationally recognized third-party testing laboratories. Most of the requirements are linked to the Hazardous Substances Act (HSA), which regulates hazardous substances such as lead or phthalates. The CPSIA also factors in the ASTM F963 American safety standard for toys.
"Green" Products - Furniture and Building Materials
A number of methods are available for testing "green" products for their environmental impact. These include:
- BIFMA levelTM certification for furniture
This method evaluates the final product and its manufacturing process, as well as the social responsibility of the company. We will conduct the required emissions testing.
- GREENGUARD mark for clean building and installation products
As a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL), we can test your electrical medical devices for compliance. To learn more about our medical testing services, please click here.
Electrical Product Safety
Canada has mandatory safety requirements for electrical products, similar to those in the United States. Mass-produced goods can be certified for the Canadian market alone - or jointly, for both the Canadian and US markets. We are also accredited for granting products so-called "special acceptance."
Medical products in Canada must be approved by the federal health authority, Health Canada. The Standards Council of Canada (SCC) has approved TÜV Rheinland of North America, Inc. for certifying quality management systems. We are happy to provide you with additional information on medical products and technology.
Products destined for Mexico must comply with NOM standards (Normas Oficiales Mexicanas). ANCE tests and certifies household products and similar, while NYCE inspects electronics and other IT devices. We will provide you with the necessary product approvals.