Ensuring Interoperability of NFC-Enabled Devices
NFC (near-field communication) is a standards-based short-range wireless connectivity technology that enables simple and safe two-way interactions between electronic devices, such as smart phones. NFC allows consumers to perform contactless transactions, access digital content and connect electronic devices with a single touch. Information between devices can be shared over a distance of less than 4 cm with a maximum communication speed of 424 kbps. There are two major specifications for this technology: ISO/IEC 14443 and ISO/IEC 10373-6.
NFC harmonizes and extends existing contactless standards while unlocking the full capabilities of NFC technology for the different contactless operating modes.
Extensive testing and certification is necessary in order to meet NFC specifications and to ensure the functionality and compliance of your devices with NFC Forum requirements.
Benefits of Our NFC Certification Services at a Glance
The NFC certification services by TÜV Rheinland can support you with:
- Competitively positioning your products with the NFC test mark after successfully meeting NFC specifications.
- Extensive one-stop shop services around the world.
- Certification testing of your NFC-enabled devices to ensure interoperability and functionality.
- Fast time-to-market.
- Qualified experts with comprehensive knowledge of wireless technology and standards.
Our experts are happy to answer your questions and provide you additional information on our NFC certification services. Contact us!
Our NFC Services
Before a NFC-enabled device can be certified it has to meet NFC Forum specifications. We support you in meeting NFC specifications and achieving certification through extensive testing and comprehensive consulting services.
The NFC qualification procedure is as follows:
- The manufacturer decides on testing scope (RF Analog, Digital Protocol, SNEP, LLCP)
- The manufacturer supplies all required items to the authorized test laboratory (two product samples, fully executed ICS-Pro Forma, IXIT, Declaration of Conformance)
- After passing the test, documents are submitted to the NFC Forum
- Review and approval by NFC Forum
- Certification through the forum and issuing of the certificate
NFC Certification Testing Approach
Our specialized NFC testing and consulting services include:
- Pre-qualification according to 'NFC Forum analog specification' (mandatory from 2015)
- Development related NFC testing according to tests based on NFC Forum draft standards and comparable, existing standards (conformance test of smartcard in local standard, debugging test for EMV L1, IT security certification for smartcard chip)
- Regulatory testing for products with integrated NFC functionality (RF Week field strength testing at 13.56MHz CE/FCC/Telec/KCC)
NFC is suitable for the following products:
- Smart phone and other mobile devices
- Laptops/desktop computers
- Consumer electronics
- Home appliances
- Electrical appliances
- NFC-compatible tags
NFC Operating Modes
There are currently three NFC operating modes: Peer-to-peer, reader/writer and card emulation mode.
The peer-to-peer mode enables two NFC devices to communicate with each other to exchange information. NFC-enabled devices with reader/writer operating mode can read information stored on inexpensive NFC tags embedded in smart posters and displays, providing companies a great marketing tool. The card emulation mode enables devices to act like smart cards, allowing users to perform transactions such as purchases, ticketing and transit access control with just a touch.
The NFC Forum
The NFC Forum is a non-profit industry association consisting of manufacturers, application developers, financial services institutions and others who share their expertise to develop the best possible solutions for improving the use of near field communication.
The forum initially developed the standards-based NFC specifications that define the modular architecture and interoperability parameters for NFC devices and protocols.