|Timeframe:||September 2010 – November 2011|
|Project Location:||Aurich, Germany|
|Main services:||• Life cycle assessment (LCA) review of wind energy products according to international standards|
• Review of background data and calculation tool in accordance with criteria set by ISO standards
|Involved regulations/standards:||• DIN EN ISO 14040:2009|
• DIN EN ISO 14044:2006
• Eurocodes for the design of all relevant parts, including the foundations, steel tower and reinforcements
• Transformation of basic design to DIN/EN
• ASTM for local legal requirements regarding building laws and building inspections during the construction phase
• DIN-Standards for basic soil investigation and geophysical examinations of the site
Initial situation and requirements
ENERCON has been setting new standards in technological design for over 25 years. With more than 19,200 wind turbines installed in over 30 countries, the company is recognized internationally as one of the leading manufacturers of wind turbines and their components. In providing renewable wind energy solutions , ENERCON needed to verify and reduce the environmental impact of the production, use and disposal of their wind energy converters according to international standards.
About TÜV Rheinland
Founded 140 years ago, TÜV Rheinland is a global leader in independent inspection services, ensuring quality and safety for people, the environment, and technology in nearly all aspects of life.
We inspect technical equipment, products and services, oversee projects and help to shape processes for companies around the world. Since 2006 we have been a member of the United Nations Global Compact to promote sustainability and combat corruption.
With extensive experience in environmental services, TÜV Rheinland can support you in conducting environmental simulations - L0 , acoustic testing and measurement, energy audits and life cycle assessments for your products.
We conduct and review life cycle assessments, including energy and resource consumption, emissions to air and water, incidental waste, as well as toxicity and the risk potential of your products in order to ensure reliability and validity according to all relevant standards and regulations.
Thanks to our extensive experience in conducting and reviewing LCA studies, TÜV Rheinland was the preferred choice for ENERCON.
To improve the environmental performance of their products, ENERCON carried out a LCA study of their wind energy converters. In order to ensure the compliance of this study with the international standards DIN EN ISO 14040:2009 and DIN EN ISO 14044:2006, we conducted a critical review of the production, use and disposal of the company’s wind energy products.
As an independent third party expert, we performed the review within the arranged timeframe, also assessing the background data and calculation tool utilized in the LCA.
Read more about our Solutions to Wind Farm Certification - L0
|ENERCON leads the industry in installing the greatest number of wind turbines in Germany, according to the German Wind Energy Institute (DEWI).|
Benefits for the client
TÜV Rheinland helped ENERCON with:
• Highly qualified experts - L0 to ensure a detailed technical review, including the background data and calculation tool.
• Providing a credible and transparent analysis of its LCA study.
• Verifying the adherence of ENERCON’s LCA study to international standards.