ISO 14001 – The Green Route to Your Success
Active environmental protection is an increasingly important factor for your success today. Consumers are critically aware of whether the manufacturing process, distribution and the use of a product are designed with the environment in mind. Active environmental protection thus promotes a convincing company profile and has become a real marketing advantage.
Ecology and economy in harmony
An ISO 14001 environmental management system provides a systematic approach that helps you to verify hazard potentials, control them and thus prevent critical incidents reducing the risk of legal liabilities. Functional environmental management is built on the basis of clear operational sequences and responsibilities. By identifying applicable legal requirements and building environmental protection right into your processes, you take a proactive and preventive approach. This leads often to more efficient manufacturing processes, thus reducing costs and balancing your economical and environmental needs. Environmental protection does not need to be expensive if you take control of it systematically.
ISO 14001 in brief
- Aims to find an efficient balance between ecological and economical requirements
- Focus on significant environmental impacts and their control
- Plan-Do-Check-Act process to achieve continuous improvement
- Concentrates on results and performance management tools, communication, education and training
- Requires a management policy, structured documentation, clear objectives and the involvement of all employees
- Designed to be part of an integrated system incorporating ISO 9001, OHSAS or similar standards
Step by step to an environmental management system
Formulating objectives: As a first step you define your environmental policy along with clear targets, adapted to the environmental impacts of your company and the statutory regulations. You present the concept to your staff – a definitive plus in terms of positive awareness.
Planning: The next step involves planning of suitable activities and introducing procedures for determining and monitoring environmental effects. Record your activities together with the set targets, responsibilities, budgets and time spans involved.
Preventive measures: Formulate and document special prevention and emergency plans for measures to prevent and minimize harmful effects on the environment as a result of accidents.
Staff: It is important to determine the needs for training among your staff at all levels, so that your environmental policy can take hold with the best possible motivation and competence.
Monitoring and improvement: You evaluate the effectiveness of the implemented measures by various means, and take suitable actions to improve your system continuously.
Your benefits from ISO 14001
- Reduces energy and material costs
- Reduces pollutant and waste output
- Helps to prevent environmental accidents and reduces risks of legal liabilities
- Improves the company's financial standing and supports sustainable development
- Compliance with local environmental regulations and adaptability with their future development
- Improves the company image among regulators, customers and the public
- Improves management effectiveness through continuous improvement process
Certification by a competent partner – TÜVRheinland®
Customers and local governments often require certification by an independent third party as proof for your implemented system. Coming from a country where environmental protection is taken seriously, TÜVRheinland® with headquarters in Germany is among the forerunners for environmental services. With only one audit we can provide you with both a locally and internationally recognized certificate. Give TÜVRheinland® a call today for a competitive quote!