Approvals for Eastern and Southeastern Europe
Imports to the CIS, Serbia, and Croatia
TÜV Rheinland with its comprehensive information on the requirements of each country in the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), such as regulatory agencies, current legislation, mandatory versus voluntary certification and various assessment processes can assist exporters in gaining the required certifications with minimal time and expense.
Russia is increasingly aligning its technical regulations with international standards, however, many products are still certified according to state regulations. The same applies for the Ukraine and Belarus. Although EU member states in this region have synchronized their standards, Serbia and Croatia maintain individualized import regulations. Operating in cooperation with local certification agencies, we can provide you with the required country approvals and answer all your questions on product approval in eastern and southeastern Europe.
Benefits at a Glance
With TÜV Rheinland product approval, you can:
- Gain quicker market access
- Competitively position your products with our independent third party approval
- Benefit from our fast turn around times, years of experience and expertise
Our Services for Eastern and Southeastern Europe
- Regulatory research and consultation
- Documentation requirements and management
- Coordination of in-country testing and local representation
- Preparation and submittal of country-specific application packages
- Comprehensive project tracking and monitoring
- Multi-country turn-key approvals
- Central knowledge database to meet all regulatory needs
- Compiling the technical files and submittal with the target market country regulators or certification bodies
- Project management with weekly updates on target market approval status from receipt of technical file, start of tests (if any), review certification and planned lead times
- Early updates on target market labeling, packaging requirements, required translations and regulatory statements
- Training, research and seminars
Conformity Requirements in Russia
GOST R and Registered Certificates of Conformity
In Russia, special authorities, regulations, and approval systems exist for various aspects of trade - including product safety, hygiene, fire safety, operating permits for industrial plants, and much more. Our experts can help you obtain the necessary approvals. The GOST R certificate is the most widely recognized proof of conformity. If your product falls under this rule, you must obtain this certificate and submit it to Russian customs before your first delivery.
Specific requirements exist for medical devices in Russia. Active medical devices must show proof of compliance with Russian GOST safety standards. For further information on medical product approval in Russia, please consult our Web pages on medical products and technology.
Required Approval for the Ukraine
Products entering the Ukraine are tested according to UkrSEPRO guidelines - a system similar to the Russian GOST R certification process. The Ukrainian Ministry of Health requires a range of products, like food-processing technology, to undergo hygiene tests. Obtaining UkrSEPRO certification for electrical products is relatively simple - you only need a CB report and proof of TÜV Rheinland production approval. Some types of machinery and other products must be inspected by Ukrainian experts. In cases where no certification is required for your product, it is nonetheless advisable to register the product with a state authority, along with its customs documentation.
Belarus also presides over its own certification system for product safety. Products that fall under this rule must obtain the STB seal, indicating compliance with Belarusian regulations. This certification is issued by accredited Belarusian agencies, upon submission of your test report.
Serbian agencies inspect and certify electrical products that may cause radio frequency interference (RFI) - like household appliances, power tools, or information technology. Following an agreement with the Serbian Kvalitet inspection agency, TÜV Rheinland is authorized to issue test reports - which can be used to simplify the certification process in Serbia.
In Croatia, mains-powered and/or battery-powered products need to be tested for electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) by a local accredited agency. The approval consists of a general certificate of conformity and further proof of conformity with EMC standards. This requires a test report from an accredited laboratory such as TÜV Rheinland. The report has to show compliance with European EN standards. The Croatian importer receives the acceptance of conformity (AoC), thereby simplifying market surveillance. A CB test report must be submitted to the Croatian authorities before approval is granted.
- GOST R Datasheet (PDF, 523 KB)
- International Approvals (PDF, 751 KB)
- International Approvals Commonwealth of Independent States Datasheet (PDF, 583 KB)