Inverter / Converter Testing and Certification
Inverter Testing for Renewable and Conventional Energy
Inverters and converters are the most important part of conventional and renewable power systems, such as solar, fuel cell, wind turbine and gas turbine power systems.
Our professional engineering team is ready to support you in the testing, listing and certification of your inverter/converter and power system related products and components. With 500 locations in 65 countries around the world, we at TÜV Rheinland can help you to meet international market needs. Testing can be performed at any of our local labs in the U.S, in our labs located across Europe and Asia or even in your facilities with our engineers on-site.
With our internationally recognized NRTL (Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories) mark and certificates, you can present your products compliant with both local and international standards and regulations.
Benefits at a Glance
With our testing and certification services for inverters, converters, power systems and components, you can:
- Demonstrate compliance to all local and international standards and regulations.
- Gain an edge over your competition with our widely accepted and globally recognized test mark and certifications.
- Have your products and components tested at various local and/or international locations, including your own facilities.
- Get your products to market faster, with our quick turnaround times.
- Benefit from our global presence, local and international accreditations, expertise and years of experience.
- Save time with “one-stop-shop” solution for all national and international markets.
Please feel free to contact us at TÜV Rheinland to learn more about how our inverter, converter and power system component testing and certification services can benefit your company.
Our Services for Inverters, Converters, Power Systems and Components
We provide a wide range of listing, testing and certification services for inverter, converter and power system components. These include:
Inverter/converter Listing and Certification
Inverters or converters, with AC output, either grid connected or stand-alone operation, need to meet the safety and/or grid connection requirements in accordance with local and international specifications and standards.
The DC power from photovoltaic panel or the AC power from the wind-turbine (or others) need to be converted to the rated grid AC power sources, such as 120Vac 60Hz, single-phase or 480Vac, 60Hz, three-phase. This is the major job of the inverter/converter in the power system.
Product safety, electromagnetic compatibility, power quality and grid connection and protection are all important criteria considered during inverter/converter listing or certification according to applied standards and regulations. Our expert team helps you to manage them all.
Power System Inspection and Reports
For safe operation and environmental compliance, both the conventional power systems and renewable energy systems require professional installation and inspection per the national electrical code and regulations. Systems in the USA must comply with NEC/NFPA 70, while Canadian power systems must be installed and inspected according to the Canada Electric Code (CEC).
Normally, all safety and quality related products and components within the power system installations need to be separately approved or tested for compliance before being connected to the grid utilities. Post-installation evaluations may be accepted by the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) if your products meet the conditions for field-labeling and/or certification.
Our engineers and inspectors can support you in field-labeling certification by comparing products on-site to the certification tested samples in both software and hardware to ensure their compliance.
Testing for Components Used in Power Systems
Unlisted and non-approved components such as power transformers, inductors, motors, electrical generators and system controllers used within the power systems must also function safely and reliably.
Generally, all safety and quality related components incorporated in the inverters/converters and in power systems must either be approved compliant with applied component standards and strictly used within specified electrical and mechanical parameters, or tested for compliance according to final product standards.
We at TÜV Rheinland provide component evaluation services for certain unlisted or non-approved components used within inverters/converters and power systems.
California Energy Commission (CEC) Testing and Other Energy Efficiency Testing
Efficient inverter power conversion is very important. Both the U.S. and European countries have specified the testing procedure and/or standards for grid-connected PV inverters.
Our experts provide professional testing reports according to efficiency testing guidelines in the U.S. and Europe.
As an internationally recognized and reputable NRTL, TÜV Rheinland of North America is one of the widely accepted labs for CEC testing and reporting.
Our Services and the Related Regulations
Our experts are drawn from a broad spectrum of professional backgrounds, possessing a diversity of experience in various geographical regions. As a result, we can support you in many issues related to inverter, converter and power system component certification and testing.
Services for Inverter / Converter Testing
- NRTL inverter/converter testing and listing per UL 1741, IEEE 1547.1, CSA C22.2 No. 107.1
- CE/CB reports and certificates per IEC/EN 62109-1, IEC/EN 62109-2, IEC/EN 62477-1 and IEC 62103 / EN 50178
- Diverse grid connection reports and certificates in Germany, Italy, France, Hungary, Spain and United Kingdom
Asia, Australia and New Zealand:
- Testing based on related IEC standards and local grid requirements
Services for Components Evaluation
- Construction checks and type testing per local UL/ANSI and CSA component standards; such as: UL 5085-1and UL 506, UL 810
- Construction check and type testing per applied EN component standards, such as: EN 60076, EN 61558, EN 60034
Services for Field Inspection and Testing
- Site evaluation, including inspection and shade analysis
- Yield forecasts using simulation software
- Review of yield assessment for plausibility and consideration of identifiable yield losses
- Support for calls for tenders and bid evaluation
- Assessment of the proposed plant concept, including support in the selection of components, plant design and security strategy
- Component testing
- Commission testing
- Audit of an installation for durability and safety
- Start-up including feed-in verification
- Plant monitoring with yield check and yield evaluation
- Project support in all project phases
- Periodic testing
Services for CEC Testing and Other Energy Efficiency Testing
- CEC testing and report for NRTL listed Inverters per UL 1741, IEEE 1547.1, and CSA C22.2 No. 107.1
- Efficiency testing per EN 50530: 2010 - overall efficiency of grid connected photovoltaic inverters for European countries
- Efficiency measurement per IEC 61683: Photovoltaic systems - Power conditioners – procedure for measuring efficiency