• Print
  • E-Mail

Our History

The history of the TÜV Rheinland Group is the story of the growth from a regional testing organisation into an international provider of technical services - with several milestones in its development. Today, the corporate group is active in 65 countries and in 36 business fields.

History of the TÜV Rheinland Group
1872 On their own initiative, entrepreneurs set up the “Verein zur Überwachung der Dampfkessel” (an organization to inspect steam boilers) in the districts of Elberfeld and Barmen, Germany.
1900
DÜV inspects its first automobiles and administers driver's license tests.
1918
DÜV expands its activities to include mining and energy.
1936
Rheinisch DÜV becomes Technischer Überwachungsverein Köln (TÜV), the Technical Inspections Organizations, Cologne.
1962
TÜV Köln is renamed TÜV Rheinland e.V.
1967
First domestic TÜV Rheinland subsidiary is established.
1970
First foreign TÜV Rheinland subsidiary is founded.
1992
TÜV Rheinland Holding AG is founded to oversee the major operations of the corporate group.
1997
Fusion with TÜV Berlin Brandenburg e.V.
2003
Fusion with TÜV Pfalz e.V.
2005
Integration of LGA Beteiligungs GmbH and the automotive division of TÜV Saarland.
2006 TÜV Rheinland joins the United Nations Global Compact; with a new subsidiary in Australia, the company maintains operations on all five continents.
2009
With nine laboratories in Asia, the USA and Germany, TÜV Rheinland further strengthens its world market leadership in the photovoltaic industry.
2010 TÜV Rheinland becomes the second-largest technical service provider in Brazil.
2012 TÜV Rheinland celebrates 140 years.
60% of employees are based outside Germany.
2014 By means of corporate acquisitions in the IT security sector, TÜV Rheinland is becoming one of the world’s largest independent testing service providers for IT security and information security.