Indian approval for Electronics and Information Technology products
TÜV Rheinland (India) is one of the first International certification body with complete scope of Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) recognition for IT, UPS/Inverter, LED Lamps, Luminaries, Control Gears, Secondary Cells and Battery packs, Mobile Phones, Audio/Video and household products categories under the compulsory registration scheme notified by the Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), Government of India.
Bridging the gap between People-Technology-Safety, the Indian Government has taken a big leap by bringing “Electronics and Information Technology Goods Order 2012” (Requirements for Compulsory Registration), ensuring safer products to Indian consumers.
The Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY), under Ministry of Communication and Information Technology, against the aforesaid order, has regulated 30 electronics and information technologies goods under compulsory registration scheme through Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS).
The initial regulation mandated registration with BIS for product categories ranging from Electronic Games (Video), Laptop / Notebook / Tablets, Plasma/LCD/LED Televisions, Optical Disc Players With built in amplifiers, Microwave Ovens, Visual Display Units, Video Monitors, Printers, Plotters, Scanners, Wireless Keyboards, Telephone Answering Machines, Amplifiers , Electronic Musical Systems, Electronic Clocks with Mains Power, Set Top Boxes, Automatic Data Processing Machines like servers, blades and desktop computers.
The second line of products added into the purview of regulation are Power Adapters for IT Equipment’s, UPS of rating ≤ 5 kVA, Inverters of rating ≤ 5 kVA, Mobile Phones, Cash registers, Point of Sale Terminals, Copying Machines /Duplicators, Smart Card Readers, Mail Processing Machines / Postage Machines / Franking machines, Passport Reader, Power Adaptors for Audio, Video & Similar Electronic Apparatus, DC or AC Supplied Electronic Control gear for LED Modules, Sealed Secondary Cells / Batteries containing Alkaline or other nonacid, Electrolytes for use in portable applications, Self-Ballasted LED Lamps for General Lighting Services, Fixed General Purpose LED Luminaries
The Registration process involves submission of an application form through an applicant (local manufacturer, local office/representative of the foreign manufacturer, importer or dealer) and a compliance test report from a BIS recognized laboratory as per the applicable Indian Standard.
The mandated electronics and information technology goods shall be labeled as “Self declaration - Confirming to IS (Standards No.) Registration No: XXXX” before they are placed in the Indian market after obtaining registration from BIS. The registration issued by BIS is valid for 2 years and is further renewed for 2 years based on applicant request.
Sealed Secondary Cells / Batteries containing Alkaline or other nonacid Electrolytes for use in portable applications
TUV Rheinland is now accredited by Bureau of India Standards (BIS) for IS 16046:2012 facilitating local and international needs to test and certify portable secondary cells and batteries containing alkaline or other non-acid electrolytes.
- The Battery Lab in TUVR Bangalore is technologically at par with TUVR international labs such as that of TUV Rheinland Japan and Taiwan which are in operation since a decade.
- The technology adopted from TUVR’s vast international experience in the area of Battery Testing and Certification for international markets here in India envelopes bunkers with fire & explosion resistance backed by Honeywell Industrial Automation System coupled with FM-200 localized and total purging , independent cabinets for multiple battery/cell testing adhering to at most safety measures as required by the standard. The complete lab is monitored and protected for hazardous gases and fire hazards paving way for multiple project handling capability under controlled environments.
- This elaborate safety measures adopted in TUVR India lab brings in confidence to the manufacturers towards world class testing facility and success in reproducibility; supporting compliance to not only national but international norms too. The facility not only caters to IS 16046/IEC 62133 testing but also UN 38.8 – United Nations (UN) requirements for Transport of Dangerous Goods; UL 1642 – Standard for Lithium Batteries, UL 2054 – Standard for Safety of Household and Commercial Batteries, IEC/UL 60950-1 Batteries used in IT products, IEC/UL 60065 Batteries used in AV products.
- TUVR India is fully geared to address the market demand and support the cause of National Policy on Electronics (NPE) by Deity for a safer and successful consumer market.
Benefits at a Glance
With TÜV Rheinland’s BIS recognized lab support, you can:
- Gain a competitive edge by showing compliance to the regulatory requirements
- Meet the timelines by our optimized laboratory infrastructure, resource and flexibility to operate in multiple shifts
- Benefit from our fast testing times and long-standing experience
|Sr.No||Product Category||IS Standard|
|1||Power Adapters for IT Equipments||IS 13252(Part 1):2010|
|2||UPS of rating ≤ 5 kVA||IS 16242(Part 1):2014|
|3||Inverters of rating ≤ 5 kVA|
|4||Mobile Phones||IS 13252(Part 1):2010|
|6||Point of Sale Terminals|
|7||Copying Machines / Duplicators|
|8||Smart Card Readers|
|9||Mail Processing Machines / Postage Machines / Franking machines|
|11||Power Adaptors for Audio, Video & Similar Electronic Apparatus||IS 616: 2010|
|12||DC or AC Supplied Electronic Control gear for LED Modules||IS 15885(Part2/Sec13):2012|
Sealed Secondary Cells / Batteries containing Alkaline or other nonacid
Electrolytes for use in portable applications
|14||Self-Ballasted LED Lamps for General Lighting Services||IS 16102(Part 1):2012|
|15||Fixed General Purpose LED Luminaries||IS 10322(Part 5 / Sec1):2012|
|16||Electronic Games (Video)||IS 616:2010|
|17||Laptop / Notebook / Tablets||IS 13252(Part 1):2010|
Plasma / LCD / LED ; TV’s of screen size 32” &
Optical Disc Players with built in amplifiers of
input power 200 W & above
|20||Microwave Ovens||IS 302-2-25:2014|
Visual Display Units, Video Monitors of screen
size 32” & above
|IS 13252(Part 1):2010|
|25||Telephone Answering Machines|
|26||Amplifiers with input power 2000 W & above||IS 616: 2010|
Electronic Musical Systems with input power|
200 W & above
|28||Electronic Clocks with Mains Powers||IS 13252(Part 1):2010|
|29||Set Top Box|
|30||Automatic Data Processing Machines|
TÜV Rheinland (India) Services: “Compliance Test Reports” for compulsory Bureau of Indian Standards Registration
- Bureau of Indian Standards Registration (PDF, 345 KB)
- Gazette Notification for Extension of date for BIS CRS (PDF, 95 KB)
- Extension of scope of recognition for Battery & Cells (PDF, 272 KB)
- TUV Rheinland’s accreditation for UPS & Inverter Testing (PDF, 627 KB)
- Notification - Electronics and Information Technology Goods (PDF, 9.45 MB)
- Frequently asked questions (PDF, 561 KB)
- Guidelines for series formation (PDF, 50 KB)
- Handbook of Information for New Product Category (PDF, 215 KB)