Safe and Suitable for Children
Parents would love to watch their children play all day - but sometimes, that's just not possible. And as every parent knows, even playtime can have its hidden hazards. The goal of our toy safety testing is to minimize these hazards.
Through our laboratories we test toys according to the Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC and European-wide standards, like EN 71 and EN 62115. From teddy bears to model trains, the "Toy Directive" applies to all playthings intended for children up to age 14.
Benefits at a Glance
Internationally recognized examination TÜV Rheinland helps you:
- Fulfill the requirements of the "Toy Directive" and avoid expensive recalls
- Build consumer confidence in the quality and safety of your toys
- Protect children from contaminated and unsafe toys
- Decrease your risk of liability with test report issued with the informations about the conformity of the products to EN requirements
We both offer partial tests and all-round tests for your products. Our experts and laboratories offer the following services:
- Mechanical/physical tests according to EN 71 Part 1,2,8 and 14 and ASTM F 963
- Electrical tests according to EN 62115 and ASTM F 963
- Chemical tests according to EN 71 Part 3,4,5,7,9 and 10
- Tensile tests
- Load tests
- Noise measurement
- Specific migration of certain elements
- Plasticizer analysis
- Volatile organic compounds (VOC) and harmful substances
- SVHC substance according to the REACH
Furthermore we can support also with this services:
- Verify of the documents
- Risk and Safety Assessment
Just What is the "Toy Directive" All About?
The European "Toy Directive" 2009/48/EC applies to toys being introduced to the market - both within the European Community and in other countries under EU legislation. It applies both to toy manufacturers and importers. The EU Directive sets security requirements to prevent any harm to children or others during normal play.
The new draft of the guidelines for the toy directive now also includes products not specifically meant for children under the age of 14 years, but which children can use as toys, for example fluffy pendants and soft toy backpacks. Comprehensive risk assessments are also required. Our experts would be gald to help you implement and ensure compliance of the required standards and also to execute mandatory risk assessment.
Risk Assessment in Product Development
As part of the risk assessment we check whether a product's risk factor is acceptable in terms of the existing framework requirements and whether any remaining risk factors are defensible. Using feasibility studies – risk assessments before and during the production phase – we can offer all-round services, helping you avoid amendments in the design at a later stage.
- Stuffed animals: teddy bears
- Plastic toys: plastic building blocks
- Baby toys
- Marble runs
- Wodden toys: wodden blocks, wodden train sets
- Musical toys: rattles, drums, horns, xylophones
- Dolls stoves and play-shops
- Construction building blocks
- Games, books, puzzles
- Toys for writing, finger paint, modelling clay
- Model toys, automotives, trails, planes, trains, mechanical and electrical RC
- Ride-on toys, tricycles, trainer bikes
- Slides, swings, climbing frames, trampolines
- Activity toys, crawl tunnels, tents
- Water toys, padding pools
- Experimentation sets
- Magnetic toys
- Creative toys
Ask the experts
Whether you're an EU manufacturer, importer, retailer or authorized agent, the toy experts at TÜV Rheinland offer a wide range of services to support their clients around the world. From testing and staff training to product certification.