Safe and Suitable for Children
Parents would love to watch their children play all day - but sometimes, that's just not possible. And as every parent knows, even playtime can have its hidden hazards. The goal of our toy safety testing is to minimize these hazards.
Through our laboratories we test toys according to the Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC and European-wide standards, like EN 71 and EN 62115. From teddy bears to model trains, the "Toy Directive" applies to all playthings intended for children up to age 14.
Benefits at a Glance
Internationally recognized examination TÜV Rheinland helps you:
- Fulfill the requirements of the "Toy Directive" and avoid expensive recalls
- Build consumer confidence in the quality and safety of your toys
- Protect children from contaminated and unsafe toys
- Decrease your risk of liability with test reports issued with information about the conformity of the products to EN requirements
- Offer a clear aid to decision making and orientation for your customer
- Increase your market position with our neutral test mark
We offer both partial tests and all-round tests for your products. Our experts and laboratories offer the following services:
- Mechanical/physical tests according to EN 71 Part 1,2,8 and 14
- Electrical tests according to EN 62115
- Chemical tests according to EN 71 Part 3,4,5,7,9,10,11 and 12
- SVHC substance according to the REACH 1907/2006/EG
- Tensile tests
- Loading stress tests
- Magnetic properties
- Noise measurement
- Fatigue durability
- Tip test
- Specific migration of certain elements
- Plasticizer analysis
- Volatile organic compounds (VOC) and harmful substances
- Health safety according to the German Code for food stuff, commodities and feeding stuff (LFGB)
- Electromagnetic Compatibility
- Radio controlled toys in accordance to the R&TTE directive
Furthermore we can support also with this services:
- Verification of the documents
- Risk and Safety Assessment
Just What is the "Toy Directive" All About?
The European "Toy Directive" 2009/48/EC applies to toys being introduced to the market - both within the European Community and in other countries under EU legislation. It applies both to toy manufacturers and importers. The EU Directive sets safety requirements to prevent any harm to children or others during normal play.
Risk Assessment for Toys
The toy directive also includes products not specifically meant for children under the age of 14 years, but which children can use as toys, for example fluffy pendants and soft toy backpacks. Comprehensive risk assessments are also required. Our experts would be glad to help you implement and ensure compliance with the required standards and also to evaluate your mandatory risk assessment.
Risk Assessment in Product Development
As part of the risk evaluation we check whether a product's risk factor is acceptable in terms of the existing framework requirements and whether any remaining risk factors are defensible. Evaluating your feasibility studies – risk assessments before and during the production phase – we can offer all-round services, helping you avoid amendments in the design at a later stage.
- Stuffed animals: teddy bears
- Plastic toys: plastic building blocks
- Baby toys
- Marble runs
- Wodden toys: wodden blocks, wodden train sets
- Musical toys: rattles, drums, horns, xylophones
- Dolls stoves and play-shops
- Construction building blocks
- Games, books, puzzles
- Toys for writing, finger paint, modelling clay
- Electric toys, railway sets, ships, slot car racing tracks, RC-toys
- Ride-on toys, tricycles, running bikes
- Slides, swings, climbing frames, trampolines
- Activity toys, crawl tunnels, tents
- Water toys, padding pools
- Experimental sets
- Magnetic toys
- Creative toys
Ask the experts
Whether you're an EU manufacturer, importer, retailer or authorized agent, the toy experts at TÜV Rheinland offer a wide range of services to support their clients around the world. From testing and staff training to product certification.