Qualifying and Certifying Photovoltaic Modules for You
High-quality photovoltaic (PV) modules are subject to a number of requirements. First, they have to deliver the guaranteed rated power reliably, while withstanding an extremely wide range of environmental conditions. They must also be safe and durable, ensuring the system’s high yield over the long term. And, they should also be able to generate the total amount of energy that was used to manufacture them in the shortest possible time. To top things off, they need to be commercially viable. But, with testing services from TÜV Rheinland, you can fully certify the quality of your PV modules. We can carry out comprehensive tests in our test laboratories that comply with applicable national and international standards.
Benefits at a Glance
With testing and certification services for your PV modules from TÜV Rheinland, you:
- Profit from TÜV Rheinland’s 30 years of experience in the field of photovoltaics
- Take advantage of our seven test laboratories, which offer you prompt, first-class service
all over the world
- Gain a partner that has earned worldwide acceptance
- Earn the TUVdotCOM quality seal – to prove that your PV modules have passed tests conducted according to national and international standards ensuring their high quality, safety, and reliability
Our services include
- Qualification, certification, and co-OEM certification
- Measurement of performance under standard test conditions and specific ambient conditions
- Individual testing and random sample measurements of solar modules
- Testing for special conditions, for example, for ammonium or transport loads
- Prototype testing for development projects
- Benchmarking of photovoltaic modules
- Yield measurements, specifically energy yield
- Long-term testing of open-air weathering in different climate zones
- Assessment of light-ageing in thin-film modules
- Application of analytical methods, including thermography and electroluminescence
Qualification and Certification of Photovoltaic Products
We test your standardized PV systems and PV components – including PV modules, grid-connected systems, power inverters, frames, cables, and connectors – according to national and international standards. If no applicable standards exist, our experts can carry out tests based on TÜV Rheinland specifications.
In addition to laboratory testing, certification of PV modules and PV components also covers the manufacturing facilities.
In our accredited laboratory, we test selected samples to determine whether your products satisfy applicable standards. The test criteria – transparent to customers at all times – are documented along with the test results.
Our experts carry out additional periodic quality and product audits at your production facilities. That way, we can ensure that all PV modules are manufactured with the same materials and processes as the samples tested in the laboratory and that product quality is consistent.
Our Testing Laboratory
TÜV Rheinland’s PV laboratory is accredited in compliance with the DIN/EN/ISO/IEC 17025 norm and listed as a certification test laboratory by the worldwide certification system of the IECEE in the photovoltaics category. In addition, TÜV Rheinland LGA Products GmbH has been qualified as a national certification body.
- IEC 61215: Crystalline silicon terrestrial PV modules, design qualification, and type approval
- IEC 616146: Thin-film terrestrial PV modules, design qualification, and type approval
- IEC 61730: PV module safety qualification, Parts 1 and 2; requirements for construction and testing, including protection class II
- UL 1703 UL: Standard for safety flat-plate PV modules and panels; extended safety inspections for building-integrated photovoltaics (BIPV)
- IEC 62108: Design qualification and type approval of CPV (concentrator photovoltaic) modules according to IEC 62108:2007/EN 62108:2008
- IEC 61701: Salt mist corrosion test; requirements of PV modules in salt-laden air