Functional Safety in the Process Industry
Ensure the Functional Safety of Your Plant
The safety of plants such as chemical plants, refineries or oil and gas production plants in the process industry is becoming increasingly reliant upon complex safety systems. Requirements of these electrical, electronic and programmable electronic safety-related systems (E/E/PES) are described in the internationally acknowledged standard IEC/EN 61508, parts 1-7.
The application standards EN 61511 and VDI/VDE 2180 - derived from the IEC/EN 61508 - define the requirements regarding the application and implementation of these safety-related systems (safety instrumented systems - SIS) in the process industry. They describe requirements of functional safety in process technical plants in detail, starting from the first concept, through design, installation, operation, and maintenance to decommissioning.
If you are a designer, developer or user of safety-related systems, our functional safety experts can support you when required to produce proof or evidence of functional safety within this system.
Benefits at a Glance
With TÜV Rheinland as your partner for all issues related to functional safety, you can:
- Improve your legal security
- Optimize your processes and ensure trouble-free and safe operation
- Get a neutral, external, and expert point of view
- Gain access to one-stop shop services and nationwide support with no regional restrictions
- Take advantage of our many years of industrial and customer service experience, our high quality standards, and our professional objectivity
Please contact us to learn more about how our functional safety services for the process industry can benefit your company.
Our Range of Functional Safety Services for the Process Industry
- Moderation and support in risk analysis, HAZOPs, LOPAs etc.
- Technical assistance and support concerning development and elaboration of safety concepts for reduction of risk potentials.
- Validation of single safety functions (safety instrumented function - SIF).
- Safety technical validation of applications and system implementations:
- Review of documentation of PLT-protection systems (safety instrumented systems - SIS), their configuration as well as safety functions.
- Calculation of the probability of failure of the safety function ("SIL calculation").
- Test of safety-related application software.
- Certification of safety functions, safety-related systems.
- Proven in use.
- Support in application and interpretation of international relevant standards.
- Training "Safety Instrumented Systems" taken from the TÜV Rheinland Functional Safety Program.
- Certification of functional safety management systems.